Found in the Valley


"No season lasts forever. No season lasts forever. No season lasts forever."

I have found myself writing this in my journal, speaking it over friends, and proclaiming it in my prayer life more than ever lately. For more reasons than one, I feel like I am walking through, (or living), rather- in the valley of what is to come, and for once, I am okay in my brokenness, in my not knowing, in my waiting, because I see the beauty of it all.

More times than not, the valley isn't where we want to be. The valley is feared and avoided because the valley is often painful, but I see the valley as God's gym; it is where we go to grow, and if we don't surrender to the pressure and discomfort, we can't grow. I can walk into the gym every single day, but I will never grow until I pick up the weights, push myself past the comfort of what my muscles are used to, get sore, and come back and do it all again tomorrow. Growth exists when we push past the pain and realize we are still alive and able.

For the longest time, I have lived a life convincing myself that my valley isn't real and should be hurried through. Believing I could/should "encourage" myself out of my spiritual dryness, that I could Instagram my way into happiness by convincing others I was fine and getting their approval; that the valley is something I should hide in and be ashamed of. Thankfully, what I have learned over the past 6+ months is this: the valley is to be embraced, because the valley is where I am found.

In Philippians, Paul illuminates something huge about the seasons of life and the mindset we should have walking through them:

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through Him who gives me strength."
// PHIL 4:11-13 // 

This passage is beautiful to me for so many reasons: 
  1.  Paul speaks in past tense here and he speaks of many different situations, implying he has walked through many valleys as well as stood on many mountaintops. He is not just familiar with one or the other, and he speaks from personal experience and growth gained from both. 
    • We do not go through one valley and become the person we are created to be. Our life is a series of highs and lows, this we are guaranteed; but through our experiences, we gain wisdom and this wisdom carries us through our next season, whatever it may be. 
  2. Valleys are never the end. It is so easy to be in a valley and think we will never get through it, but this is simply not true. This passage is proof that Paul walked through more than one valley, yet he came out on top and found the mountain, and so will we. He keeps his focus on Jesus, the giver of strength, and finds his way to the mountaintop. He does not get discouraged by the pain of the valley or distracted by the goodness of the mountain - He just keeps focused on Jesus. 
  3. The difference between "in" and "with" is huge and noteworthy. Paul says "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation. He does not say he is content WITH it, but IN it. 
    • I don't think God always asks us to be content with our circumstances, because we should always be moving forward. Contentment with the highs could lead to complacency that things will always be good, and contentment with the lows can trick us into believing we will never move forward. Contentment in these two will help us realize that our circumstances are never static, and that contentment must find itself unattached to our circumstances
  4. Valleys are meant for learning and don't have to be walked through alone. Paul says that he has learned and can do all this (walking through highs and lows) though the strength from God.  
    • Sometimes I think valleys can cause us to isolate because we never want to feel like we are burdening others with our issues, but God gives us people to lean on and walk through the darkness with. There have been countless days I saw the strength of God at work through a friend sitting with me as I cried, or my family listening as I process. I have been reminded countless times that you cannot burden someone who loves you. When valleys are walked through in companionship, you will come out with more wisdom. 
Valleys are hard, but they are equally necessary, so please don't run from them. Remember Paul's words and know that you will get through this in time, but you must rely on God for strength and know that contentment can be found in your valley because you still have God. Let your valley do its work on you. Bend at the weight you are under so the Lord can rebuild you. Remember that the only place with fruit is the valley, so walk through it with open hands and dare to believe that you are found in the valley. 




Comments

Popular Posts