Good Good Father, VI

Six years, six years. I can't believe it has been SIX years.

As many of you know, my dad passed away September 3, 2009. I am not a big fan of sappy memorials being open to the public but I want to honor and remember not only my earthly father today, but also my heavenly father. To do so, let me take a moment to tell you a little about both.

Earthy Father:
My dad was the type of guy that if you knew him, you couldn't help but love him. He was a smart saver, a hard worker, and a funny man. His jokes were dumb but the way he told them were the best. His attitude was potent but it made him who he was. His love was deep, even in the deep waters. His patience wasn't there, but his helping hand was. He was the biggest procrastinator I knew but also the biggest achiever (oxymoron?).

I hold onto the small things; riding his Harley to the mountains and him scaring me by going around the curves a little too fast. Shucking corn together at 'the shop', or playing with snakes (yes, he had a pet one). Eating out as a family on Saturday's , and going on the lake with he and my sister after church on Sunday's.

Heavenly Father:
Constant. One thing my heavenly father is that my earthy father (or any human) wasn't, is constant. No matter how mad I make him, disappoint him, or disobey him, his love remains the same. This is one reason I want everyone to experience Jesus. We as humans often let our emotions determine our actions. If someone makes us mad, we shut them off. If they make us happy, we bend over backwards. God isn't like that. God loves the leopard and the lamb equally the same. Don't you want to experience love with that father? Even on my worst days when I question God, his plans for my life, his goodness, and his love, he remains faithfully constant. That is the reason I am able to mourn my dad's death but also rejoice in the truth that I will see him again one day. Because Jesus dies on the cross for us, death doesn't have to be the end. Death is just a pause on time with another person, until we see them again one day. I have joy, peace, hope and happiness all because of my savior. Jesus doesn't take lives, Jesus gives life!!

The memories will last forever, but so will the pain. I have learned and experienced so much the past six years and my dad would have loved to have been a part of it. Because of God's grace and love, I can look at dad's death and see the blessings that God has poured on my family and I because of it. You may be thinking I have lost my mind by saying that loosing my dad has been a blessing, but just trust me. I have learned that everything you go through is a blessing from God. I would take my dad back in a heartbeat but I would not want to trade the things loosing him has taught me. Loosing a parent teaches you to be thankful for every moment you have with the ones you love. It teaches you to love deeper, laugh harder and think happier. I see past the small arguments because I know that relationships are more than the stumbling blocks. I look past the bad days because I know better days are coming. I look past the people who want to judge because I know that they are fighting a battle I know nothing about. Loosing a parent honestly can make you bitter or it can make you better. I went through the bitter part and I am ready for the better. God puts things in our life to mold us into who we are and I fully embrace that this is just God's plan for me. He has bigger and better things in mind for me than I could ever imagine and I will accept that, no matter the cost.


As you always got me to tell everyone, I will always be "daddy's girl, momma's problem, and sister's headache".

love forever, xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts