an open letter to the girl with low, or no, self-esteem

First of all, girl...you are so dang loved. Seriously. Think of like five people you know - I would be willing to bet each of them love you so much more than you know. If you can't think of five, just think of one and be grateful for the way they love you. If that one isn't enough for you, love yourself enough to cover for the rest. And please, don;t forget the one that loved you enough to die for you. That alone should be our ground to dance on, but so often, it isn't.

My heart aches for you because I know exactly what you are feeling. I know what it is like to stand in a room full of people and somehow convince yourself that they are all better than you in some way or another. I know what it is like to have people's words go right over your head because you just can't even begin to understand how they see the good in you. I understand that moment when you feel proud for finally doing something right only to see that someone did it better. I get the feeling of not feeling prepared enough, smart enough, thin enough, funny enough, kind enough, you name it. I have felt all of it girl. I have been thirty pounds lighter than I should be and ten pounds heavier than I want to be and would you believe that in both seasons, I still cried two out of five nights because I didn't feel confident in my body? The goal weight will never be low enough to satisfy, the friend group will never be big enough to complete you, and the financial status will never be enough to meet all your desires. But one thing that is enough? You know it, Christ.

Yes, I am giving you the cliche answer and trust me, I fight every day to believe it is true. If we think about it, even the person we think the most of and would do anything for has not even touched what Christ has done for us. Even the richest parent with the greatest inheritance can't promise us streets of gold. Even the kindest person we know can't live a perfect and sinless life. Yet we live to please all of them and put off our call to live for Christ with all of our being. Learn his truth and live by it. Lean into his grace when you fail to see all that you are in him. Quit dismissing the good that you are just because it's you. Ladies we get to choose how we love ourselves and we have the things we need to do that. We have promises to carry us through the valley, humility to get us off our mountain, and the grace to sustain it all. Live your best life and live it with confidence. Phil 1:6 is some good stuff. "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus". Girl believe in that good work and be steadfast in the waiting. If you don't see a good work yet, remember that he knit you in your mama's womb and tell me that isn't a dang good work. Rest easy girl, he's in the waiting.








Comments

Popular Posts